Full Form of AICTE
All India Council for Technical Education
AICTE Full Form is All India Council for Technical Education. AICTE is a national level council and a regulatory body for technical education in India. It functions under Ministry of HRD (Human Recourses Development) and Department of Higher Education. AICTE was first established in the year 1945. Though initially it just started as an advisory body, later it earned the statutory status in 1987.
AICTE has the responsibility of planning, coordinating, and managing technical education and management education in India. It accredits graduate and PG programs under selected categories at the Indian Institutions. AICTE is assisted by 10 other boards of studies such as; PG and Research in Engineering, Technical Education, Pharmaceutical Education, Management Studies, Architecture, IT, Hotel Management, Catering Technology, Vocational Education; and more.
AICTE Full Form – Additional Information
The statutory body of the national level formed under the HR Development Ministry and Higher Education Department is known as the AICTE or All India Council for Technical Education. Its establishment was done initially as an advisory body in the year 1945. It obtained its status of the statutory body in the year 1987. The office of AICTE is present in Delhi. The main responsibility of this body is to properly plan the systems of the management as well as technical education in India and ensure its development.
The graduate and postgraduate programs are accredited by the AICTE under certain sections of its charter. There are ten statutory study boards which assist AICTE. These include Information Technology, Architecture, Technical Education, Management Studies, Undergraduate Studies in Engineering, Town Planning, Management of Hotel and Catering, Pharmacy education, Vocational Studies, and Post Graduation in Engineering. Its regional offices can be found in Hyderabad, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Kanpur, Kolkata, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Mumbai and Chennai.
Objectives of the AICTE
The following discusses the objectives of AICTE:
- The first objective of this body is to provide more importance to the design-oriented teaching in colleges as well as institutes. This helps in giving a practical approach to the studies. The AICTE gives stress on problem-solving skills. It ensures that more practical skills are developed in students.
- The 2nd objective consists of exposing students to the manufacturing as well as industrial processes. This will help in the development of technical approach in students.
- The 3rd objective consists of the implementation of the new technology in the student’s syllabus. It also focuses on removing the old theories and technologies which are no longer used from the syllabus. This aids in ensuring that the students are aware of the modern technology and its uses.
- The last objective involves the setting of students in the professional world. They are trained in developing soft skills, and their usage in the corporate world. It also ensures the development of the communication skills that will help them to face all kinds of problems in their career.
Bureaus of the AICTE
There are ten bureaus in AICTE. These are discussed below:
- Academic Bureau: This bureau is responsible for publishing newsletters, documents, books, and reports. It also drafts research schemes of all kinds.
- Planning & Coordination Bureau: It coordinates with all regional offices as well as departments in order to ensure the effective functioning of the AICTE. It prescribes rules and regulations about admission and fees of the students.
- Research & Institutional Development Bureau: It makes developmental schemes for the faculty. It also decides the teachers’ pay scale. It also aids in monitoring institutions.
- Administration Bureau: It nominates the representatives of the AICTE on numerous committees and bodies. It provides logistic support for conducting of meetings.
- Finance Bureau: It is responsible for making the planned as well as non-planned accounts, along with the budgets. It also maintains annual accounts.
- UG Education Bureau: It maintains the database of the institutions and provides autonomous status to the technical institutes. The other bureaus include Quality Assurance or QA Bureau, Faculty Development Bureau, Post Graduation Bureau, and E-Governance Bureau.
The AICTE conducts two exams. Both of them are discussed below:
The CMAT or the Common Management Admission test is an exam conducted by the AICTE for selecting candidates for the management programs of the institutes approved by the AICTE. It is an online test and was first conducted in the year 2012. The duration of the test is 3 hours. There are 4 sections in the question paper. These are dedicated to language comprehension, quantitative techniques, general awareness and logical reasoning. Each section comprises of twenty-five questions. For appearing in this exam, the candidate must be graduated in any field with at least fifty percent marks.
The GPAT or Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test is conducted by the AICTE for selecting the candidates for Ph.D. and M.Pharm. It also provides scholarships and fellowships to those who desire to pursue M.Pharm. A candidate must hold B.Pharm degree to appear for this exam. The candidates who are still in the final year of their graduation degree are also eligible to appear for this exam.
For an engineering college to start admitting the undergraduate students in its institute, an approval from the state technical university as well as from the state government is necessary. But before all this, it needs to cater to the basic needs before starting the institute. The AICTE checks whether the needs are met and then gives its approval. This is known as AICTE recognition.
As the number of engineering colleges and institutes got increased, an autonomous body was established by the AICTE, which was called the NBA. It evaluates the engineering institutes and their courses and gives approval in accordance with the rules laid down by the AICTE. The NBA is fully authorized to derecognize and recognize programs as well as institutes that come under them.