Full Form of BSNL:
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
BSNL Full Form is Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited. India is home to many telecom companies that provide different related services across the country and even abroad. One such is the topic of our discussion, which is Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited that is also known by its famously used abbreviated form BSNL.
In this article, we shall explore various facets involved in BSNL, which is the country’s state-owned telecommunications service that has created its own niche. We shall begin with a brief introduction followed by a discussion on some other aspects of the telecommunication company. So, let us begin with the discussion with the introduction segment.
Introduction to BSNL
As mentioned before, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited—hereinafter referred to by its abbreviated form BSNL—is a public telecommunication company that has its headquarters in the capital city of India, New Delhi. In the year 2000, the company was officially incorporated. The incorporation resulted in major changes in the management of telecommunication services in the country, as it took over the functions of providing such services and management of the same from the former Department of Telecom Services (Abbreviated as DTS) and telecom Operation (abbreviated as TO) from 1 October 2000.
BSNL is one of the most popular telecom service providers in the country and this is obvious considering the fact that it is the biggest provider of services relating to fixed telephony and broadband and the sixth biggest mobile telephony provider in the country. It enjoys more than 60 percent market share in the country and is thus, a prominent competitor in the telecom service market. Despite holding strong market share in the country, there are diminishing revenues in recent years because of the participation of other competitors from within and outside the country.
BSNL is the oldest telecommunication service provider in the country, with an approximate base of consumers of 94 million as far as records of the month June in the year 2015 are concerned. It covers the entire country, except areas Mumbai and Delhi where Mahanagar Telephone Nigam (abbreviated as MTNL) operates. Now that we have discussed BSNL in the introductory segment, we shall move on to the other segment, which is the services provided by the same.
Services provided by BSNL
BSNL Mobile is one of the main providers of the GSM cellular mobile services. It provides these services under the brand name Cellone. It provides telecom services solution to many business consumers such as MPLS, P2P, and other internet lines. Additionally, it also provides its consumers fixedline services as well as landline services with the help of CDMA technology and optical fiber network. Through the dial-up connection, it provides internet access to consumers. The brand name NetOne is used for internet connections for prepaid and DataOne
Apart from the aforementioned services, BSNL also provides value-added services (abbreviated as VAS). These services include Free Phone Service (abbreviated as FPH), Account Card calling (abbreviated as ACC), Tele-voting, India Telephone Card (abbreviated as ITC), Virtual Private Network (abbreviated as VPN, Premium Rate Service (abbreviated as PRS) and Universal Access Number (abbreviated as UAN).
The telecom company also provides the IPTV that allows consumers to watch TV with the use of Internet and Voice and Video Over Internet protocol (abbreviated as VVoIP). In the year 2009, BSNL had launched officially the blackberry services in the country. BSNL has an extensive network across the nation, with reach to as many as 800+ cities. In the year 2012, the company came up with a 3G enabled wireless pocket router by the name Winknet Mf50.
In the year 2013, the company announced that it would discontinue its telegram services, which have been running for about 160 years. The service had started in the year 1885 in the British rule. In the year 2010, the service was upgraded to a messaging system that was web-based. The services were available in about 182 offices in the country.
Despite coming up with many services, the company is facing huge revenue losses because of many other competitors, which have emerged successful in many areas. The stiff competition is putting a heavy burden on the company to come up with better schemes in order to attract consumers. Now that we have learned about the services provided by BSNL, let us move to other segments.
Mission of BSNL
Under this segment, we shall discuss the mission of the telecommunication service in the discussion. The following lay down the mission of the company:
- To achieve the status of a leading telecom service in the country and attain presence internationally. It aims at producing greater value for stakeholders, which include vendors, employees, business partners, and shareholders. It has to ensure that it maintains stable profitability in its business, along with attempting to make its presence felt across the national borders.
- To endeavor to establish an organization that is focused on consumers and aims at providing services beyond excellence. It aims at creating a conducive sales and marketing culture, which is amenable to demands and requirements of consumers. In order to achieve this mission, the company aims at providing credible and amiable consumer services.
- To leverage modern technology in order to make available services and products, which are innovative and cater to different needs of customers. It aims at providing different services to different categories of costumers.
- To improve performance by focusing on a conducive working atmosphere. It wishes to channelize maximum potential of its officers and encourage them to initiate endeavors for the benefit of costumers and the company.
- To make use of Information technology (abbreviated as IT) to establish effective enterprise processes. It aims at building up strong and workable IT structures and use them in the implementation of a stronger service mechanism.
The mission of this telecom company is, in general, terms, aimed at providing maximum services to its customers with the help of a reasonably efficient structure. Alongside, it also aims to mark its presence in international market.
Objective of BSNL
In the previous segment, we have discussed mission of BSNL. In this segment, we shall discuss the objectives of BSNL.
- Its primary aim is to achieve a high growth rate so that it becomes the leading telecom service provider in the country, with high profitability.
- To facilitate its users with high quality and reasonably priced services to its costumers.
- Its objective is to establish a stronghold in mobile telephony services and play a key role in GSM operations in the country.
- It aims at strategizing its man power in a manner that yields maximum results and ensures greater confidence among costumers.
- To provide telecom services to its customers in compliance with the government policy.
- To establish and leverage the infrastructure of the company to reach out to its customers from across the nation and help in the implementation of various policies of the government. The company aims to extend its reach in rural areas and help the government to implement its policies in the same.
For many years, BSNL had managed to maintain its presence in the country, however, lately, its share and revenue are plummeting that are causing concerns. In order to achieve its objectives, the company needs to come up with a good agenda.
Administrative units of BSNL
For a smooth functioning of the company, the company has been divided into various administrative units. These administrative units are known as telecom circles, project circles, metro districts and specialized units. These units cater to different issues pertaining to their area of jurisdiction. Currently, the company manages about 24 telecom circles, 4 maintenance regions, 6 project circles, 5 telecom factories, 3 training institutes, and about 4 specialized units.
The Board of Directors (abbreviated as BOD) of the BSNL comprises about 12 directors. Among these 12 directors, there are about 5 whole time directors and 2 directors nominated by the Central Government. The current position holders in the telecom service provider are as follows:
- The current Chairman & Managing Director of the BSNL is Shri Anupam Shrivastava
- The Director (Enterprise) is Shri N.K.Mehta
- The Director (Consumer Fixed Access(CFA)) is Shri N.K. Gupta
- The Director – (HRD) & (Fin) is Smt. Sujata Ray
- The Director – (CM) is Shri R.K.Mittal
- The present Government Director is Smt. Padma Iyer Kaul
- The Government Director is Shri N.Sivasailam
The Department of Telecom, Government of India, is responsible for looking after the telecom censorship issues. BSNL complies with the guidelines of the department and implements them in full adherence. However, there are no definite laws pertaining to what and all are to be censored and how censorship is to be managed, guidelines have come up which guide telecom service providers in the country as to how to go about censorship. Although BSNL adheres completely to the guidelines, the block sites can be easily accessed with the help of proxy websites or, in technical terminology, Internet Censorship Circumvention. To read more, you should go through articles on this matter.